Tuesday 11 January 2011

The Festive Season

Saw a few people the other week for the first time in three years and the first thing they noted was ‘bloody hell, you’ve put weight on’ and ‘what you been eating?’ Not quite the entrance I was hoping for. That brought the curtain down on a Christmas that flashed by in an instant but there were events a plenty to remember. What was at first a winter wonderland, the village turned into an apocalyptic vision with buses cancelled, broken down cars all around, people falling over and so on. Yet the one thing you can count on is the pub being open. Christmas was lovely even if Santa didn’t turn up. Think he got the sack. I got a few books and cd’s, which I was delighted with but my most anticipated gift must have got lost somewhere in Lapland. I really wanted that shoe polish! Luckily my brother did not get much. I want to teach him some humility rather than becoming money-orientated. Having cash in the bank may well have ruined my authentic university experience. Whilst students debate whether to go cold or stick another £20 on the gas meter, I consider whether to risk another £20 in a hand of poker. Whilst they gulp down Tesco value cider, I’m in the club sampling vodka martinis. As they contemplate broken down washing machines, I’m reading the financial times at the laundrette. Anyway there was one slight disappointment this festive season. The much yearned for village nativity play had to be cancelled. They couldn’t find three wise men or a virgin in the village! Ha, this blog has dissolved into one cringe-worthy joke after another. In all seriousness, it was great to see family especially my grandparents. I owe them so much and, a bit like my later life due to university fees, will always be indebted to them. Their battles with technology always humour me. Well my Grandma is ok; she can text! But my grandfather - one day he was getting aggravated when trying to change channel. Trying to get BBC1 on, the TV had other ideas remaining on Deal or No Deal. After his third attempt pressing the button to change station, I explained belatedly that he was pressing buttons on the phone. Good job he wasn’t after channel 9. When old, I sure want to be like these two. Happily married, putting their feet up with plenty family and friends. And to think, they met all those years ago at Queens. It makes me think, despite all my previous adventures, my life has barely begun…

No comments:

Post a Comment